Thursday, November 1, 2012

It's not about the questions (OctPoWriMo Day 2)


The questions I don’t want
to answer are harsh
yellow lights
at the crossroads
of my destiny
blinking silently
reflecting
in the curtained windows
of buildings
in my periphery.

I take out my book
and read a poem
but it doesn’t help.

The questions I refuse
to write on a page
are the skin-crawling
scratches of indelible
chalk in an invisible
hand of a patient
instructor behind
a locked door
at 3:01 p.m.

…as I pretend to
have finished more than
two of the assigned chapters.

Writing my questions
is a little too much.
Once they are
“out there” where
others might see,
some well-meaning
person might
offer assistance…

Can’t he see me
studying my encyclopedia?

these questions that 
I choose to 
keep to myself
are small flocks of
starlings before
autumn flight
casting silver
reflections, I think
they are key to the
answers I fear
and from which
I flee.

Cheryl Crockett November 2, 2012
OctPoWriMo Day 2 (one month later)

No comments:

Post a Comment