Monday, February 1, 2021

ALL ABOUT THE GROUNDHOG

#NaHaiWriMo Day 2 Prompt – TODAY IS ALL ABOUT THE GROUNDHOG

February 2nd is Groundhog Day. For decades, this day has been a source of creative inspiration. My favorite original poem on the subject (not haiku) lets me explore my fantasy of what I might do if the forecast coming from Gobbler’s Knob is not to my liking. It suggests perhaps baking the furry prognosticator in a tasty stew. (As I searched for a link to paste here, I was startled to find actual recipes, with photos, for “groundhog stew”. I stopped searching.)

Since I only share that poem for laughs, and have no desire to harm or eat a rodent connected with a traditional superstition, the groundhog remains an annual literary target at which I aim my pen. There's no need to call PETA on me. SIDE NOTE: Squirrels also almost never see a favorable light, as I paint them with my poetic words.

On a happier note, this haiku breaks a personal record! I often challenge myself to write haiku with words that contain no less than four letters. In today's poem, the two smallest words contain 7 letters each.

So, as I return to my annual inspiration, I share it with you. Please consider the following, if you are writing haiku for Groundhog Day:

1.       1. Do you want the groundhog to see his shadow or not?

2.       2. How do you think Groundhog Day will or should be different during the pandemic?

3.       3. Is Groundhog Day a superstition for you, or is it 100% real?

4.       4. How will you feel, or what will you do, if the groundhog gives a forecast you like, or dislike? 

As always, these are suggestions. If you have already written your Day 2 haiku, or if you prefer a different topic, write on! With or without the groundhog, you are always welcome to post and include both hashtags: #CherylsEverydayHaiku & #NaHaiWriMo.

Thanks for stopping by!


T


No comments:

Post a Comment