Friday, February 5, 2021

THE UNEXPECTED TWIST AT THE END

Day 6 Prompt – THE UNEXPECTED TWIST AT THE END

Haiku effectively communicates the shortest stories, the tiniest of instances… moments. The first line can introduce the heroine (or hero) of the story. The second line sets up the scenario, and the third line completes the story and brings it to an end.

Each brief line of haiku leaves enough to the imagination that the reader’s mind expands upon what the eyes have read, creating a taller tale. The ending can be a humorous punch line or a satisfying resolve to tension created in lines one and two. It might be a question that provokes critical thought, or a cliffhanger that leaves the reader in suspense. These are four examples of strategies for ending haiku.

In my Day 6 haiku, my first line introduces the main character, a toad. Of course, this is the hero (or heroine), the one the reader likely hopes will succeed. I could have chosen a frog, but I cast the toad in the lead role. This was a controversial choice after toad's compelling performance in the role of the antagonist.

toad mounts turtle shell

 

The image of toad climbing innocently on top of a turtle’s shell occurred to me out of the blue, when I wasn’t even ready to start writing. Our little toad is there for a reason, in a place where turtles and toads happen to live, perhaps near a water’s edge with trees and vegetation, etc. Since this is line one, maybe I can say why, if I want to (but this haiku, and I’ve already used up five syllables). I asked myself, what is the turtle’s reaction to this temporary turtle topper? Does the turtle even notice anyone is there?

 

then happily hops along 

 

Oh, OK… the turtle was a fake-out! There is no response from the turtle; mayby turtle was sleeping, oblivious to everything. Besides, toads move faster than turtles, right? Nothing more than a high place, a momentary toad-perch, turtle is a prop, and it's all good for our toad, who's living the best possible life. If there was any potential for conflict with the turtle, the opportunity window has closed and toad is moving on.

Danger averted?

Maybe…

 

hungry crocodile 

Maybe not! After toad leaves turtle behind, the reader discovers the presence of another possible threat, a certain predator that is motivated to alter toad’s sunny outlook on life, by having toad for dinner. Beyond that, there is not enough information and the reader is inspired to think of an ending that makes sense.

Does crocodile see toad? Does toad see crocodile? Is the turtle watching?

Alas, I have run out of syllables, so my haiku must end here, leaving readers in suspense.

Now, I am in suspense, but not about the characters in my one-act haiku. I'm looking forward to the #haiku I find when I click on the hashtags #CherylsEverydayHiaku & #NaHaiWriiMo. Write on!

No comments:

Post a Comment