Monday, February 22, 2021

TAKING INSPIRATION FROM MEMORIES

Day 22 Prompt - MEMORIES AS HAIKU INSPIRATION

Memories of another time in our lives can be a source of inspiration for haiku. Whether triumphant or tragic, ecstatic or embarrassing, heart-warming or heart-breaking, the events, experiences and life lessons gained, can fit nicely into the haiku format.

Think back to that moment when you completed that hand-made gift that brought the biggest smile to the face of someone you love. Remember realizing that new relationship was not going to work out, for whatever reason. Relive the elation of catching that ball and scoring the winning point, or stumbling and losing the game. Any moment when everything changed is rife with potential for haiku.

Let your reader experience the unfolding of that moment with you, again. Create the suspense on the first two lines; readers will be cheering for you, hoping for success, regardless of the outcome that unfolds on the third line, or the poignant cliffhanger of the unfinished story. Working on such personal haiku, can lay a foundation for critical thought, healing or growth as the words come together on the page.

For me, writing about unpleasant aspects of my past helps me stop obsessing and overthinking things I wish were different. I know I'm not alone when I confess I spend too much time doing that. ...Oh, the power of the pen in the hand of a poet, plus a piece of paper!

No comments:

Post a Comment