Friday, February 19, 2021

HAIKU INSPIRED BY REAL LIFE

Day 18 Prompt – HAIKU INSPIRED BY REAL LIFE

True life events can inspire haiku.

While working from home during recent winter storms, I have heard the sounds of shoveling in my neighborhood I do my job online. Grateful that I don’t have to leave home to go to work, I am doubly blessed that my neighbor has been digging me out after the multiple snow dumps that have befallen us since the groundhog’s frigid prediction.

Today was a little different. Instead of waking up and peeking out of my window, I was sitting at my computer when I heard the familiar scraping sound of snow being removed from my porch. I raised my blinds and opened the window so I could wave and say “thanks”. And those in my WebEx meeting noticed the heaving of snow out front as I turned the laptop camera for a better view.

I told the people in my meeting about my generous neighbor. The leader spoke about how nice he was to do this. I informed her that it was not a “he”, but a female neighbor who was doing this work. The meeting was attended by all women, who were surprised and delighted at this revelation.

Although my haiku does not address this particular detail, it is still a tribute to my kind and generous neighbor. After my shift, I went out to spread ice-melt over her handy-work, hopefully before she needed to leave and go to her job. Relieved to see her car didn’t move this evening (it is not safe to go out). And the ice-melt is just sitting there not doing much.

In any case, here’s to Ulyssia, who inspired this haiku:

snow covered sidewalk 
my next door neighbor's shovel 
scrapes my steps 


© 2021 Cheryl L. Crockett

No comments:

Post a Comment