Saturday, February 6, 2021

TEMPLATE POETRY

MAKING TEMPLATE POEMS

The late poet Hilary Tham, whom I met in Virginia, in the early 2000s, introduced me to the concept of templates. Taking the words of an existing poem (usually written by another author), then replacing each word with another word that is the same part of speech and/or has the same number of syllables. Sometimes, even the emphasized syllable is matched, meaning if a word’s 2nd syllable is emphasized (i.e.: “protect”) in the template poem, the word selected to replace it would also have the emphasis on the 2nd syllable (i.e.: “infect”). You wouldn’t substitute a word like “index” or “premade”.

The finished product is an original poem, usually on a different topic, that was inspired by the poem used as the template. I recommend because it is appropriate to cite the author of the poem selected as the template.

For this prompt, I am using one of my own haiku. This one is from Day 4, and it is the one that has received the most positive response on social media so far this month (February 2021). Using a poem that was previously well-received doesn’t guarantee the new poem will be as good, although I think it may provide a solid foundation. It is possible the finished new poem could be better than the template, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so, at best, this is a great creative exercise.

Here, I have analyzed my first line by identifying the part of speech for each word and noting the number of syllables for that word:

waves                  chase        gulls             shoreward

[Plural noun (1)]            [verb (1)]       [plural noun (1)]           [adverb (2)]

For this example, in honor of today’s Superbowl 55, my topic is the big game. As I write this, I don’t know if the finished haiku will be about the action on the field, the half-time show, the commercials, parties or tailgates, or something else, but I am pointing my thoughts and my word list in that direction.

Before I could analyze the 2nd and 3rd lines, words and phrases started coming to me, so I skipped their analysis and started writing new lines from the template. Lines in bold-face match the template closely.

Inspired by Line 1 (5 syllables):

a.       Fans watch teams gather

b.      Friends grab plates quickly

c.       Teams score points slowly

d.      Dads scold kids briskly

e.       Wings hold sauce loosely

f.        Host shares masks meekly

 Big game starts poorly

pale toes sink into damp sand

 

Inspired by Line 2 (7 syllables):

a.       large men stand beside green grass

b.       team mates kneel raising fists high

c.       bored fans doze upon soft chairs

d.      stern coach speaks behind play chart

e.       tense coach shouts wielding clipboard

f.        proud moms cheer just for their sons

g.       Baked snacks cool beyond sneeze guard

h.       Grateful guests keep their distance

splashing children squeal

 

Inspired by Line 3 (5 syllables):

a.       piercing whistle blows

b.      halftime singer starts

c.       players understand

d.       Cheering “That’s my boy!”

e.       Hand sanitizer

f.        inflated balls wait

g.       lifting urgent fists

h.      leaving veggies out

i.         Veggies are ignored

 

The final step is to piece together haiku using one line from each of the 3 lists.

Combo #1

Fans watch teams gather

large men stand beside green grass

inflated balls wait

 

Combo #2

Friends grab plates quickly

Baked snacks cool beyond sneeze guard

Veggies are ignored

 

Combo #3

Teams score points slowly

tense coach shouts wielding clipboard

players understand

 

Combo #4

Host shares masks meekly

Grateful guests keep their distance

Hand sanitizer

 

Combo #5

Players take a knee

Asserting Black Lives Matter

Lifting urgent fists

 

Combo #6

Dads shush little kids

Proud moms cheer just for their sons

Shouting “That’s my boy!”


Combo #7

big game starts poorly

bored fans doze upon soft chairs

piercing whistle blows


As you can see, template poems can inspire a lot of haiku quickly. I think Combo #7 is the one I am choosing for my #NaHaiWriMo Day 7 #haiku post. I can imagine writing more and more on this topic before the day is over. It is one of my favorite strategies to jump-start my creative process.

No comments:

Post a Comment