Saturday, February 20, 2021

WRITING HAIKU WITH FRIENDS

Day 19 Prompt – WRITING HAIKU WITH FRIENDS

As a poet who has posted hundreds of haiku since 2013, some of the most exciting moments of my journey have been when others have shared their original haiku with me. I am delighted when someone writes a comment below my poems; I’m overjoyed when someone clicks hearts or retweets me, etc. But, when someone takes the time to write a poem of their own, that’s when I feel like sharing my poems is making a difference, perhaps by inspiring others to write.

In the weeks leading up to #nahaiwrimo, I spoke to my friend and fellow creative, Cynthia Johnson, about my plan to write one haiku per day for the entire month of February, and she was enthusiastic to accept my invitation to participate. So far, she has written and posted many haiku, which have been shared on my page “Cheryl’s Everyday Haiku”.

After completing each poem I’ve written, I have shared them to my Facebook Story, my Cheryl’s Everyday Haiku page, Twitter @poetatete & Instagram @cherylcrockett. Lots of people have seen, liked, reposted and commented on the poems. One of the stats on my haiku FB page has increased by 12,500% (I don’t even know how to process that, but I’m grateful). The stats don’t give me any names, so I say to myself “that’s nice” and then keep it movin’.

Friday brought a delightful surprise: my friend and former coworker, Nadine Seiler, posted a haiku and tagged me! I did not see it coming. Now, I feel like I have my own little “haiku club”. Approaching 1,150 original haiku, while I am pretty sure I can say I am comfortable writing alone, I have to say it is so heartening to have people who are with me. So, to Nadine and Cynthia, and everyone who has taken the time to read Cheryl’s Everyday Haiku, I say “Thank you for inspiring me to be my very best”.

Please enjoy their poems below:

Wintry mix streetscape
Harkens to a playful time
Possibly after

©️ 2021 Nadine Seiler

Elated colors
Snapshot of family joy
Laughter on a string 

©️ 2021 Cynthia Johnson 



No comments:

Post a Comment