Thursday, February 4, 2021

HAIKU ENGAGES THE SENSES

HAIKU IS MORE THAN A SNAPSHOT

Working with syllables, words and phrases to construct haiku, I am capturing a poetic moment. I often describe it as being like a picture or snapshot, but it is more than that. Maybe haiku is more like a GIF, a very brief video that communicates more than a still photo, but I believe haiku goes beyond that. Haiku engages and activates the senses.

In my Day 5 poem, each line taps into at least one of our five senses, and beyond.

freshly bathed newborn


Line 1 creates the visual image of a baby after the nightly bath-time ritual. I remember the joy of my own personal mother-baby time; it's a bonding moment. There's also the sense of parental accomplishment that comes in knowing baby is clean, relaxed and ready for bed.

warm pastel terry towel

Line 2 is very tactile, in addition to being visual. Who doesn't know the texture and comfort of drying off with a fresh warm towel? Combining the first two lines, I am reminded of cuddle time with baby as we both dry off. After all, mommy often gets drenched during baby's bath.

scented pink lotion

Line 3 introduces the sense of smell. Yes, there is the visual combined with the sense of touch, but they take a back seat to that familiar smell of your favorite baby lotion (my favorite is "Baby Magic"). Tapping into powerful olfactory memories is something I think happens in haiku more effectively than in a photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment