Wednesday, February 17, 2021

ALLITERATED HAIKU

Day 16 Prompt – ALLITERATED HAIKU

Some poetic devices are perfect for haiku. I believe alliteration is one of them. So, I pick a consonant and attempt to make every word in my poem begin with that letter. Certain letters are easier to apply to alliterated haiku. In my most recent poem I used the letter “s”. If I don’t alliterate every word in my poem, because I am committed to my work making sense, I may choose to alliterate just one line or phrase of my haiku. I feel confident alliterating poems with letters like “m” or even “b”, (bring on the tongue-twisters).

I must admit, I find some letters quite daunting, so don’t expect any poems from me that include alliteration of those high-value scrabble letters: Q, X, Z, etc., perhaps if they are parts of the middle of some words, there is a chance I could make it happen.

"S" is a nice safe letter. I am particularly happy with the one I wrote for Feb. 15th:

she shuns staying safe
sleet slickens street surfaces
someone slides side-ways

© 2021 Cheryl L. Crockett
#NaHaiWriMo #Alliteration

No comments:

Post a Comment