Sunday, February 7, 2021

HAIKU IN SIX WORDS

 Day 8 Prompt HAIKU IN SIX WORDS

Periodically stepping away from 17 syllables, I set aside the 5-7-5 model and write 6-word haiku. Often, this yields a poem with two words on each line, but the six words may be arranged in any fashion. Although I do love 5-7-5, I have no intention of writing in this form for the entirety of #NaHaiWriMo.

My example, from January 2018, is linked here [CLICK]:

wind chilled

my heart 

craves azalea


© 2018 Cheryl L. Crockett

This approach forces a very succinct, efficient use of words and usually has less than 17 syllables. The same principles of having a beginning, middle and end apply. My standard is to create a sentence that flows and ends with the most interesting or very engaging words.

When posting, I add the hashtag #6words and/or #senryu. Click or search these hashtags to see other examples of this kind of #haiku.

No comments:

Post a Comment