Wednesday, February 24, 2021

CURRENT EVENTS INSPIRE HAIKU

Day 22 Prompt – CURRENT EVENTS CAN INSPIRE HAIKU

Listen closely, or maybe not so much. The headlines change frequently, often multiple times each day. News can appear suddenly and captivate everyone’s attention for days, weeks or months. An historic rocket launch is announced, that will carry an all-civilian crew into space for the first time ever. The pandemic, that has been plaguing the earth for nearly a year, begins mutating to create variants that become a greater threat to public health. During black history month, the world is grappling with open racism and attempting to answer calls for justice in the wake of allegedly racially motivated murders.

An airplane engine disintegrates and litters debris over residential neighborhoods, injuring no one, as it returns to the airport and lands safely. A politician makes a poor decision and goes on vacation, leaving his constituents struggling during a bad winter storm (this is not the first time this has happened – I remember when the late, four-term Mayor Marion Barry of Washington DC did this). A beloved entertainer unexpectedly takes ill and dies, leaving fans stunned. A sports legend escapes an accident with his life, but suffers potentially career ending injuries. These are just some of the current events dominating the headlines as I write this.

For me, my personal current events are more challenging topics; I prefer to write about topics that are somewhat removed from me. That’s right, this is true about me: I have not written, nor was I ever asked to write poems about or for my parents or brother (all of whom are no longer with us). I did write a poem for my daughter, when she was very little. And I wrote a poem about the “apology gift” my dad never knew he bought me (a 2nd hand crystal bowl that cost less than $8.00), after a very painful experience with him during his declining years. That poem was about the crystal, not my dad. I shared my poems with my family, and they enjoyed them very much, but to this day, I struggle making close family members the subjects of my poems.

My current event inspiration is derived from the news of Tiger Woods’ car accident and catastrophic injuries. As the news continues to report about the accident investigation, his hospitalization and surgeries, the prognosticators have wasted no time predicting his future in his sport, while he is in danger of losing one of his legs. He is blessed and fortunate to be alive, and it is clear he is much beloved.

But I am no fan of golf, or any of the professionals who play the game. 

Sure, I’ll write haiku about this!

Dodging death again                                               

He has less than nine lives left

Tiger is a cat

 

© 2021 Cheryl L. Crockett


No comments:

Post a Comment