Thursday, February 18, 2021

OBSERVING HAIKU

Day 17 Prompt – OBSERVING HAIKU

Reading haiku by other poets often inspires my own creativity with words. I usually search for poems on Twitter (with the hashtags #haiku or #nahaiwrimo), but haiku may be found all over the internet, including on Facebook and Instagram, etc.

After enjoying each poem, I usually count the syllables, and take note of the words and phrases that stand out to me, then I try to figure out the author’s angle. If I like the poem, I will click “Like” on it so the writer receives a little digital appreciation. I do not approach the author/poet with questions.

When I begin exploring this new inspiration, I imagine the setting of the original poem and consider parallel settings in which a similar scenario can unfold. One haiku featuring fish in a pond can be remixed to feature a bird in the air, a bear in the woods or a worker in an office, etc. Then I think about any humor or deep meaning that might be drawn out of this new scenario and consider different ways my haiku’s story can unfold.

For instance, the fish may steer clear of a worm on a hook, just as a bear might resist temptation when he sees honey dripping from a hive, but the outcome with the bear, will likely be different from that of the fish. It is within my power, as the poet, to decide that.

If a bigger fish appears and swallows the little fish as he considers the worm on the hook, well, that’s an unexpected twist for that last line, and it works well. But I can’t think of an exact parallel scenario for the bear, although the bees’ reaction, to a bear getting too close to their honey, has potential to take my haiku in some very interesting directions. Perhaps, the bees’ presence will persuade the bear to go find a fish to eat. As ideas come to mind, I write them down and develop each idea.

Once I am finished with my haiku, I may post it and tag the author of the haiku that inspired me as thanks to them. Most poet’s I’ve thanked take it as a compliment when I acknowledge them for inspiring me creatively.

Happy searching.

No comments:

Post a Comment